- September 1897-December 1973 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Incorporated 3 September 1897. Entrepreneur John Hillaby had established the Lion Liquorice Works, Pontefract, in 1850. The company grew their own liquorice and by 1893 were the biggest producer in the world. Joseph Bellamy and Sons Ltd of nearby Castleford acquired an interest in the company in 1939. In 1946 the factory on Back Street was destroyed by fire. The premises were rebuilt, but eventually closed as a liquorice factory in 1963 when Joseph Bellamy and Sons Ltd amalgamated into the Mackintosh Group.