- July 1884-1980 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
Name of creator
Originally formed in 1926 but went into voluntary liquidation and re-formed in 1935. Incorporated on 1 April 1935 as a subsidiary of British Biscuits (itself a wholly owned subsidiary of Rowntree and Co.). In 1944 British Biscuits' shares in Romary and Co. were transferred to Rowntree and Co. Rowntree became sole owner in 1955. [Also Tunbridge Wells Trading and Manufacturing Trust Co. Ltd, a non-trading subsidiary of Romary and Co., wound up 1965].
In 1957 Rowntree's stopped making Tunbridge Wells Wafers locally. In 1963 production restarted at Rowntree’s factory in Glasgow and continued until 1981.