- 1662-1997 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.27 cubic metres
14 boxes and 3 rolls
Name of creator
The firm of Munby & Scott dates to 1878 when Henry Venn Scott became a partner in the firm of Munby & Son of York. At this time the firm was located at 3 Blake Street, later renumbered as 18 Blake Street, a site they had occupied since 1838. Munby & Scott remained at this address until 2008 when the firm merged with Langley’s of York and moved to their headquarters in Queen’s House, Micklegate.
The Munby family had been solicitors in York since at least the end of the eighteenth century. Joseph Munby senior, solicitor, married Jane Pearson at York in 1801. Their son, Joseph (1804-1875), followed his father into the profession and was also the first secretary of the Wilberforce School for the Blind at its creation in 1833. He married Caroline Eleanor Forth in 1827, a connection that brought him the property in Blake Street, although the couple made their own home at Clifton.
Joseph and Caroline’s son Frederick James Munby (1837-1915) was admitted to the bar in 1860 and subsequently joined the family firm. He also succeeded his father as Clerk to the Justices of the City of York and secretary of the Wilberforce School for the Blind, as well as acting as Honorary Secretary of the York Industrial School for Boys and President of the Yorkshire Law Society in 1894 and 1910.
The Scott family had long been associated with Kingston upon Hull before Henry Venn Scott (1852-1941) joined Munby & Scott in 1878. Henry married Jane Dorothy Paley in 1880 and was succeeded in Munby & Scott by their son, Henry Cooper Scott (1884-1958), who held the rank of Lieutenant Colonel of the 5th Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment during the First World War. Another son, Charles Paley Scott, also practiced law, becoming Recorder, successively, of Doncaster, Kingston upon Hull, and Leeds, and Chancellor of the County Palatine of Durham after 1936.
At the time the firm merged with Langley’s in 2008, Henry Cooper Scott’s grandson, Giles Scott, was still employed at Munby & Scott.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Financial and legal records of the Munby and Scott families, including bank books and related papers of Henry Venn Scott, his wife Jane Dorothy Paley and the Paley family, 1870s-1946; and papers of the Munby family, 1920s-1930s.
Legal and financial records of the Padel family, including Christian Gottlieb Padel, his sons Gerhard and Charles Padel, and his daughter Else Fenn, c.1899-1940.
Legal and financial papers concerning the committal of D’Arcy Edward Swainston Strangeways of Alne Hall to The Retreat, his death, and the disposal of his estate, 1875, c.1917-1925.
Deeds, marriage settlement and related papers concerning Reverend Edward Barber, c.1894-1918.
Legal and financial records concerning Reverend Angelo Raine, York City Archivist and vicar of Dringhouses and York, All Saints Pavement, and his wife Alice Raine, 1910s-1920s.
Papers relating to York Diocesan Poor Benefices Fund, including annual reports, 1894-1909; minute books, 1893-1939; letter book, 1916-1930s; ledger, 1923-1928; cash book, 1917-1937; applications for educational grants, 1945-1948, 1950-1952; and other legal and financial papers concerning the work of the Fund.
Records of York Ragged Schools, comprising rules, 1852; minute book of the Ragged Schools’ Female Committee, 1849-1863; minute book of the York Industrial Ragged School, 1857-1862.
Records of York Industrial School for Boys, including property papers, 1876-1889; letter book, 1881-1897; petition requesting addition of clause to 1889 Industrial Schools Bill, 1890.
Records relating to Manor School, York, including minute book, 1881-1903; contracts for assistant teachers, 1928-1937; deeds, plans and letters concerning its proposed new site at Clifton, 1913-1920; papers concerning a proposed new site at Burton Stone Lane, 1930s.
Papers concerning Yorkshire School for the Blind, including annual reports, 1947-1955; correspondence files, 1950s; and other legal and financial papers, 20th century.
Minute book of the York National Schools, Northern Division, 1880-1886.
Records of the York Church of England National Schools Society, including rules, minutes and press cuttings, 1895-1923.
Minute book of the trustees of the York Charitable Society, 1930-1980.
York Castle deeds and papers, comprising deeds, probate documents and plans relating to Clifford’s Tower and property in Castlegate, 1662-1950s.
Deeds, probate records and planning applications relating to Town End Farm, Wigginton, 1705-1912.
Lease of lead mines at Longholefoot, Alston Moor, Cumbria, 1715.
Papers concerning sale of farm and land at Boroughbridge, 1938-1984.
Photographs of restoration work at Fairfax House, York, c.1984.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
- Educational institutions » Schools » Charity schools
- Educational institutions » Schools » National schools
- Educational institutions » Schools » Specialist schools
- Information sources » Documents » Wills
- Organisations » Associations » Societies
- Social policy and welfare » Social welfare
- Social policy and welfare » Social welfare » Child welfare