- 1582-1914 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.08 cubic metres
Name of creator
The Skaife family’s connection to Braisty Woods in the parish of Kirkby Malzeard, Yorkshire, can be traced back to the fifteenth century when Robert Skayf had charge of the Fountains Abbey sheep at Brimham, 1456-1457, and was keeper of cattle for the Abbot at Braithwaite Grange in Nidderdale, 1458-1459. Robert’s son, another Robert, was keeper of the cattle for Fountains Abbey at Braisty Woods in the 1480s and his son William held the same post in 1493.
At the time of the Abbey’s dissolution in 1539 Braisty Woods was in the tenure of Robert and William Skafe. In 1592 Thomas Skayff leased a messuage there from Sir William Ingilby of Ripley Castle and between 1592 and 1615 members of the Skaife family leased further land and property in the area, largely from Sir William.
In 1715 the Skaifes acquired further property in Littlethorpe, near Ripon, through the marriage of Thomas Skaife of Braisty Woods to Ann, daughter of Lawrence Allanson of Littlethorpe.
The Braisty Woods estate finally passed out of the Skaife family in 1869.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material