- 1964-1975 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.04 cubic metres
Name of creator
Henry Edward Champneys Stapleton was born in London in 1932. He was educated first at Pembroke College, Cambridge, and then at Ely Theological College. He was ordained deacon in 1956 and priest in 1957.
He began his clerical career in Yorkshire. In 1956 he was appointed curate of York, St Olave with St Giles. This was followed by three years as curate of nearby Pocklington with Yapham cum Meltonby and Owsthorpe between 1959 and 1961, before he was appointed rector of Seaton Ross with Everingham and Bielby and Harswell between 1961 and 1967, and then rector of Skelton from 1967 to 1975. He was also Rural Dean of Weighton from 1966 to 1967.
In 1975 he left Yorkshire for Norfolk to take up the post of vicar at Wroxham with Hoveton St John from 1975 to 1981, and then priest in charge of Belaugh in 1976 and Hoveton St Peter in 1979. In 1981 he became Canon Residentiary and Precentor of Rochester Cathedral, Kent, and in 1988 he became Dean of Carlisle.
Reverend Stapleton retired to Huddersfield in 1998 and was subsequently given permission to officiate at Wakefield from 1998 and at York from 2003. He has been a Fellow of Society of Antiquaries since 1974 and a trustee of the Churches Conservation Trust since 1976. Since 1992 he has also been a member of the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts. He has published several books, including ‘Skelton Village’ in 1971, ‘The Skillful Master Builder’ in 1975’ and ‘The Churchyards Handbook’ in 1988.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material