Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The origins of Terry’s can be traced to 1767 when William Bayldon and Robert Berry opened a shop in York selling candied peel, lozenges and other sweetmeats. In 1823 Bayldon and Berry were joined by Joseph Terry who had married Bayldon’s niece, Harriet Atkinson. Shortly afterwards Bayldon left the business and Berry was succeeded by his son George, forming the partnership Terry & Berry. George left in 1828 and the business, by then based in St Helen’s Square with a factory in Brearly Yard, was renamed simply Terry’s of York.
The business soon expanded as Terry began to introduce a wider range of products, using the nearby rail links to supply towns and cities across the North of England, as well as London. By 1840 Terry’s was producing boiled sweets, candied peel, mint cakes, gum balls, marmalade and medicated lozenges.
Joseph Terry died in 1850 and the business was continued by his sons, Robert, John and Joseph, who in 1862 leased a new factory site in Clementhorpe close to the river Ouse. The new location allowed raw materials to be shipped directly to the factory’s warehouses from the Humber Estuary. The company was renamed Joseph Terry & Sons and the St Helen’s Square shop became a shop and restaurant. In 1895 the business was incorporated as Joseph Terry & Sons Ltd.
In the 1860s only 13 of the company’s 400 products were chocolate, but as demand grew Terry’s opened a specialist department to develop a wider range of chocolate products. In the 1920s the company expanded significantly with the construction of a new purpose built factory on Bishopthorpe Road, at its peak employing 2,500 workers. Managed by Frank and Noel Terry, sons of Joseph Terry junior, the new Chocolate Works factory began production on the Terry’s Chocolate Apple in 1926 and the famous Chocolate Orange in 1931, followed by Terry’s All Gold boxed chocolates in 1932.
In 1963 Terry’s was sold to the Forte Group and in 1975 it was bought by United Biscuits before passing, in 1993, into the ownership of Kraft Foods, where it was amalgamated with Jacobs Suchard to form Terry’s Suchard and later became part of Mondelez International. The Chocolate Works factory ceased production in 2005 and the site was consequently sold for redevelopment. Today, Terry’s Chocolate Oranges and Terry’s All Gold are still produced by Mondelez International.