- 1815-1961 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.15 cubic metres
Name of creator
The firm of C Baker was established probably at 244 High Holborn in 1765. Charles Baker (1820-1894) was in business by 1851 and prospered on the sales of good-quality microscopes and accessories.
In 1894 Charles Baker died and several generations of the Curtis family then continued to run the business. From 1918 premises were taken in Balham, later named the Metron Works, until 1947 when the company relocated to Purley Way, Croydon, Surrey. The shop and office at 244, High Holborn were retained.
The business was acquired by Cooke, Troughton & Simms in 1959, together with the services of Francis Smith, internationally respected as an optical engineer, who brought a large collection of patent specifications to the combined company. The Holborn premises and business were left out of the acquisition and the business continued in new premises as Rekab Ltd in the hands of Michael Curties.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material