- 1884-2009 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2.42 cubic metres
128 boxes. 2 oversize folders and 1 roll
Name of creator
In 1959 Cooke Troughton & Simms acquired C. Baker Microscopes and Casella (Electronics) Ltd so in 1962 the name of the combined company was changed to Vickers Instruments Ltd, trading from 1 January 1963. On 1 April 1965 the name changed to Vickers Ltd, Vickers Instruments and on 1 January 1982 to Vickers PLC, Vickers Instruments.
Throughout the 1960s and 1970s Vickers Instruments continued to develop a large range of surveying equipment and microscopes for which they won British design awards. In 1968 the microscope side of the Croydon Works (previously C. Baker Microscopes) was transferred to York. Later Laser Range Finders were developed for Vickers tanks and Fibercheck was introduced for the optical glass fibre industry.
In the early 1980s, after reviews and appraisals, it was decided to concentrate on the semi-conductor market which lead to the acquisition of Semco Instruments Co Ltd of Ottawa, Canada. In 1987 Quaestor, an instrument for the high precision measurement of microchips, won the Queen's Award for Technology and the Queen's Award for Export.
In 1988 Vickers Group sold Vickers Instruments (York) to Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. USA, becoming Bio-Rad Micromeasurements of York. The ordnance side of the business was acquired by British Aerospace, thus keeping it in British hands.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material