- c 1726-2014 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.44 cubic metres
22 boxes and 1 file
Name of creator
Mary Wandesford’s Charity was founded by the will of Mary Wandesford of Kirklington. The will, dated 4 November 1725, bequeathed lands in Brompton on Swale and stock to be held in trust by the Archbishop of York and four other trustees.
The profits were to be used to endow ‘a Religious House of Protestant Retirement’ for ten poor unmarried gentlewomen and to pay a schoolmaster to teach poor children at Kirklington.
Following Mary’s death in 1726 the will was contested in the Court of Chancery by the Duke of Newcastle on behalf of Mary’s legal heir, Lord Castlecomer, who was then a minor. Chancery upheld the will in a ruling of 1737 but stated that no-one under the age of fifty should be admitted as an inmate of the hospital.
Subsequently a site at Bootham, York, was chosen and construction of the hospital began in 1739. Wandesford Hospital, also known as Wandesford House, opened in 1743 and was staffed by a steward and a chaplain. Inmates had two rooms each and in addition received an annual pension.
The building remained largely unaltered until 1927 when the roof was replaced. In 1949-1950 the land at Brompton on Swale was sold.
Today the charity continues to own and run Wandesford House as an almshouse for single Christian women, aged over 50, who are in hardship, need or distress.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material