- 1833-1996 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1.7 cubic metres
71 boxes plus oversize volumes
Name of creator
The Wilberforce Memorial was founded in 1833 following the death of Yorkshire MP and noted reformer William Wilberforce. At a meeting held in that same year the decision was taken to establish a benevolent institution for the indigent blind in his name, with funds raised by public donation and subscription.
As a result, the Yorkshire School for the Blind, also known at the Wilberforce School for the Blind, was opened in King's Manor, York, in 1835. In 1969 this was replaced by The Wilberforce Home for the Multiple Handicapped Blind at Dringthorpe.
The Wilberforce Memorial was managed by its governors, who originally consisted of all donors and annual subscribers paying over a certain amount. They met annually and elected the managing committee who were responsible for the day to day administration of the Yorkshire School for the Blind, and later the Wilberforce Home.
The managing committee consisted of the president of the Wilberforce Memorial, vice-presidents, and at least fifteen of its governors, and had the power to elect a chairman, honorary secretary, honorary treasurer and trustees.
Today the Wilberforce Memorial is known as The Wilberforce Trust. It continues to offer support, training and care services for people with sight loss, and provides supported accommodation in York and Tadcaster.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material