Yarburgh family of Heslington

Identity area

Type of entity

Family

Authorized form of name

Yarburgh family of Heslington

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

fl 1708-1962

History

The Yarburgh family’s connection to Heslington originated with the marriage of James Yarburgh to Anne Hesketh, the co-heiress of Thomas Hesketh of Heslington Hall, in 1692. The Heslington lands were based on the estate of the dissolved Hospital of St Leonard, York.

The Yarburghs' ancestral lands were in Yarborough in Lincolnshire. They had also acquired lands in Yorkshire, including Balne Hall, lands at Pollington, and the ecclesiastical peculiar of Snaith, through the 1611 marriage of Edmund Yarburgh to Sarah Waller, the granddaughter and co-heiress of Nicholas Waller of Sykehouse who owned these and other properties in the county.

The family also held a number of prominent public offices. Sir Thomas Yarburgh, father of James, was High Sheriff of Yorkshire in 1673 and MP for Pontefract in 1685 and 1688, as well as Receiver of Rents and Revenues for Queen Catherine of Braganza, the wife of Charles II.

His daughter, Henrietta Maria, served as Maid of Honour to the Queen and his son and heir, James, was godson to James II and became a Lieutenant Colonel of Horse and an aide to the Duke of Marlborough.

On the death of Thomas Hesketh in 1708 Heslington Hall and manor, together with Hesketh lands in Lancashire, passed to James and Anne and thereafter descended through the Yarburgh family with their lands at Snaith, Balne, Cowick, and elsewhere.

In 1719 James and Anne’s daughter, another Henrietta Maria, married the architect and dramatist Sir John Vanbrugh. Her brother Charles inherited the Heslington estate and at his death in 1789 it passed to his sons Henry, and then Nicholas Edmund who died without issue in 1852.

The estate then passed to the nephew of Nicholas Edmund, Yarburgh Greame of Sewerby House in the East Riding, who subsequently took the surname Yarburgh. At his death in 1856 it passed to his nephew George John Lloyd of Manchester, who also assumed the Yarburgh surname.

In 1875 the estate passed to George’s daughter Mary and her husband George William Bateson. In 1876 George took the additional surname de Yarburgh and in 1892 he formally changed his name to de Yarburgh-Bateson. In 1890 he inherited the Baronetcy of Deramore from his elder brother Thomas, becoming 2nd Baron Deramore.

The de Yarburgh-Batesons, Barons Deramore, continued to occupy Heslington Hall until the middle of the twentieth century. During the First World War the Hall became a convalescent home for wounded soldiers and during the Second World War it was taken over by the Royal Air Force.

In 1956 the 5th Baron Deramore sold the Hall, together with 17 acres of land, to the Joseph Rowntree Social Service Trust Ltd. In 1962 the site was acquired by the new University of York which had already purchased 165 acres of the estate the previous year. Heslington Hall was subsequently converted into the university’s administrative headquarters.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Bateson, (Blanche) Violet de Yarburgh-, 1884-1972, 2nd wife of 3rd Baron Deramore (1884-1972)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

family

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Vanbrugh, Henrietta Maria, c.1693-1776, wife of Sir John Vanbrugh (c.1693-1776)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

family

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

GB 193

Rules and/or conventions used

ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons and Families, International Council on Archives (2nd edition, 2003); Rules for the construction of personal, place and corporate names, National Council on Archives (1997).

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created 07.07.15

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Borthwick Institute, 'Yarburgh Muniments: Introduction' (2002).

A P Baggs, G H R Kent and J D Purdy, 'Heslington', in A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 3, Ouse and Derwent Wapentake, and Part of Harthill Wapentake, ed. K J Allison (London, 1976).

Charles Best Robinson, 'History of the priory and peculiar of Snaith' (London, 1861).

http://www.howdenshirehistory.co.uk/snaith-history.html

www.thepeerage.com

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC