- 1705-1983 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.29 cubic metres
Name of creator
At its foundation the Blue Coat School was administered by a committee of subscribers, who became responsible for the Grey Coat School also. The accounts were managed by the steward, also called the treasurer and the original subscriptions were increased by bequests and investments.
However, complaints in the 1820s about the standard of behaviour within the schools led to a reform of the organisation with the purpose of gaining a tighter control over the type of children admitted.
In 1829 the original committee, later known as the permanent committee was joined by the annual committee, made up of 15 elected subscribers with the task of ensuring all pupils were of good character.
A system of visiting directors holding quarterly meetings was also introduced, and two further committees established: the Estates Committee, of five elected subscribers who were not to be members of the Annual Committee, and the Audit Committee, later called the Financial Committee.
This committee structure, administering the funds of the Blue Coat and Grey Coat Schools Charity, became known as York Charity Schools.
In 1976 the funds of York Charity Schools, St Stephen's Home, the William Richard Beckwith Fund, the Arthur Gill charity, the Matthew Rymer charity and the Ethel Crombie Memorial Fund were amalgamated to establish the York Children's Trust.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material