- 1874-1996 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.18 cubic metres
Name of creator
The York and District Field Naturalists Society (YDFNS) was founded in 1874 at the house of Mr William Prest in Holgate Road, York. Its inaugural rules stated that the Society was to be managed by a president, vice-president, secretary, treasurer and a committee of four members who were elected annually. Membership cost one shilling per quarter and meetings were held every month, along with monthly excursions and lectures, and members were encouraged to bring 'specimens of natural history' to meetings for display.
In 1884 the Society was amalgamated with St Thomas's Field Naturalists Scientific Society and by 1905 the group had 97 members.
The YDFNS disbanded in 2002 and its remaining assets were transferred to its affiliate, the Yorkshire Philosophical Society.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material