- 1786-1994 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.53 cubic metres
Name of creator
York Medical Society was founded in 1832 at a time when many medical societies were being founded in the English provinces (the British Medical Association – then called the Provincial Medical and Surgical Association - was founded in Worcester in the same year).
The Society was the first in the city to unite physicians and surgeon-apothecaries in one association. It performed a useful role in facilitating communication and cementing relationships between local doctors through regular meetings; these meetings also had an improving and educating role as papers were read and cases discussed. It became a forum for the discussion of important professional issues.
It also encouraged the sharing of books and, later in the 19th century, it developed an extensive library, as well as a small museum of preparations and specimens. In 1890 the Society acquired the library collection of York City Hospital as well as that of the York Dispensary. Gifts of further books from doctors and others meant that the Library soon had between 2000 – 3000 volumes.
Initially, the Society had no premises of its own, and it met at the York Dispensary, on New Street, York. From October 1856 until May 1874, meetings were held in a rented room at ‘Mr Graham’s House in Market Street’. The lease of this room ended with Mr Graham’s death, and for the following three years meetings were held in the Board Room at York County Hospital. Between 1877 and 1878 the Society briefly met at 9 Ousegate and between 1878 and 1890 met at the de Grey Rooms (these more central sites encouraged better attendance).
In 1890 the Society decided to rent permanent rooms, at 1 Low Ousegate, in order to furnish them as a Library and Meeting Room. From there, the Medical Society and Library moved to 23 Stonegate in 1915: these premises were initially rented but were subsequently purchased in 1945. 23 Stonegate had previously been the house of Dr Tempest Anderson, and of his father, the surgeon W.C. Anderson. The York Medical Society continues to occupy these premises today.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
York Medical Society records, 1832-1964; York Medical Society Museum and Library records, 19th century-1960; 'Transactions of York Medical Society' volumes, 1890-1905; York Medico Ethical Association records, 1857-1890; Yorkshire Branch of the British Medical Association records, 1842-1958; York Local Medical Committee minutes, 1948-1973; York County Hospital records, 1810-1865; and records of other organisations and individuals, comprising notebooks of lectures by Dr Thomas Simpson given at York Medical School, 1834, transcripts of lectures on chemistry given by Dr Joseph Black at the University of Edinburgh, 1786, notebook of notes on diseases, diagnoses, causes and treatments, 1824-1825, manuscript 'Pharmacopoeia' belonging to a York doctors’ practice, 1831-1981, and prescription books of John Saville and Sons, pharmaceutical chemists of York, 1880-1926.
Additional uncatalogued material, including York Medical Society council minute books, 1964-1994; prescription book, 1900-1904; prescription books from Coverdale the Chemist, York, 1860-1960; book of press cuttings, late 19th century; illuminated address to Dr Richard Turner, 1913; and receipts, papers and photographs, 19th century-20th century.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material