Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Albany Street Primitive Methodist Chapel, York, 1884-c 1932
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
A wooden mission chapel was erected by the Primitive Methodists in Albany Street, off Leeman Road, in 1884, but it was not until 1900 that a permanent chapel was built on an adjacent site.
Part of the new Victoria Bar Circuit of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, formed in 1883, the new Albany Street Chapel could accommodate 250 people and included classrooms and schoolrooms that could be used as part of the chapel when needed.
Following the unification of the Primitive, Wesleyan and United Methodist Churches in 1932, the Victoria Bar Circuit amalgamated with the city's Wesley Circuit and Albany Street Chapel became part of a new and enlarged York, Wesley Circuit of the Methodist Connexion.
The chapel was destroyed during the enemy bombing of York in 1942 and the congregation moved into first St Barnabas' Parish Room, and then into a temporary wooden building until the new Albany Chapel was completed in 1954. The new chapel was situated on Salisbury Road.
The chapel was closed in 1972.